Last week was a tough week for me. That ugly fear monster paid a visit and didn’t leave. The anxiety and racing thoughts got so bad that several nights I didn’t sleep. My mind was consumed with thoughts about the candidates running for president, the future of our country, and even the presence of global warming. Christmas Day was already tough enough (it was in the 70’s), but then scientists declared this the “Hottest Year on Record.” I noticed that I was beginning to get sucked into the news every chance I could. Watching that crap 24/7 . . . no wonder I was fearful. I had to take a step back, breathe, and get out of my head and remember God’s truths.
I have often wondered if this is the worst the world has been. Lets be serious for a sec – Crazies with guns, the threat of ISIS, presidential candidates taking this election lightly, wars, and more. Has the world gone MAD? Have we lost our values? I’m sure that mankind has progressively gotten worse but I also believe there has always been bad stuff going on. – – We live in a fallen world but that does not mean we have to fall victim to fear. Here are some thoughts that I try to remember when fears arrise.
- Fear God not man. “Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” – Matthew 10:28
- Focusing on the negative is only going to produce more fears so work on transforming your mind. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Phillipians 4:8
- God is the ultimate ruler. No matter how bad it gets, or which candidate becomes president, God still rules and is above all.
- Do something. Take the fear and turn it into a passion. Make a change. For me, personally, I am fearful of global warming (don’t judge we all have fears). So what can I do? I can walk instead of drive. I can purchase free range, hormone free animals (you’d be surprised how this grately affects the environment). I’m even considering a donation to the World Wildlife Fund – hold me to it people! 😉
- Take it to God. Praying has helped me hand it over and wipe my hands clean. I can’t always do something about the issue BUT I can do the possible and let Him do the impossible. Be anxious for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” Philippians 4:6
“We have the power to choose the type of experience that we have in this world, and to a much larger degree than many of us realize. We do not have to feel as if we are victims of certain circumstances, and we do not have to allow the difficulties of the world to effect our capacity to love and to see and feel the beauty that is always there”. – Katie Vessel